The only Muslim monument that survived in Pieria is the tekke of Katerini. It is located on 7th Division Street in the area of the old Hospital. The mosque is the only part left from the tekke, ie the monastery complex of the Muslim sect of the Albanian Bektashis. The tekke of Katerini was built about 200-250 years ago, in an area of 300 acres that extended from the park to the hospital, covering almost the whole area of the settlement “Katafygiotika”. The area of the Bektashi tekke included the abbot’s residence (Baba), the cells of the ordinary monks, hostels, kitchen and the dining room, where the monks often had gatherings. In the courtyard of the tekke there was a fountain and a kiosk. The tekke is assumed to have been in operation until 1951. The building now belongs to the Muslim community, however it is managed by the Municipality of Katerini.
What is Nearby?
Conference and Cultural Center of Katerini "Ekavi"